Ontario updates digital building code and inspector guidelines
The Ministry of Municipal Affairs and Housing has released an updated Digital 2012 Building Code Compendium, and new guidelines for building inspector internship programs.
The 2012 Building Code Compendium has been updated in the digital English version to include Building Code amendments recently made through Ontario regulations. Changes include:
- Section 3.16A to address the construction of demountable stages and associated sound and lighting equipment towers;
- Clarified smoke damper requirements to facilitate the construction of certain buildings, such as apartment buildings, hospitals and long-term care facilities;
- Revisions to allow combustible cladding and combustible exits in midrise wood construction to harmonize requirements with the National Construction Codes on four to six-storey wood buildings, including multi-unit residential;
- The removal of standpipe requirements for certain building types of four-storey stacked townhouses;
- Including Minister’s orders under section 34.1 of the Planning Act (using the community housing and infrastructure accelerator tool) as applicable law for purposes of issuing a building permit;
- Extending Building Code exemptions for temporary health or residential facilities in response to COVID-19 pandemic until March 31, 2024.
Updated digital versions of the Code can be requested here. Hard copies of the Code can be updated by obtaining the Amendment Package 11 from Publications Ontario, or by downloading and printing the changes here.
The province has also developed guidelines to support new municipal internship programs for building inspectors under the Building Code internship provisions made in April 2022. Click here for more information or email [email protected]