ASHRAE and the International Ultraviolet Association (IUVA) have formed a memorandum of understanding (MOU) to formalize their working partnership.
The MOU outlines how the organizations will work together to promote research and new technology for more sustainable building. Areas of collaboration may include research, advocacy, joint conferences, communication, education and professional development, and technical activities.
According to ASHRAE, the MOU includes, but is not limited to, these initiatives:
- Test and measurements on specific pathogens across a specified light spectrum and in specified mediums.
- Test and measurements on efficacy outcomes for antimicrobial UV-C devices and systems in specified, well defined testing environments.
- Test and measurements on efficacy outcomes for antimicrobial UV-C devices and systems installed in upper room HVAC applications.
- Standards and guidelines that establish the minimum requirements for commissioning permanently installed UV antimicrobial systems in existing and newly constructed facilities.
- Standard and guidelines for the application of UV disinfection of water used in cooling towers to control spread of bacteria, such as Legionella, algae and fungi, into the building HVAC system.
ASHRAE is a global professional society advancing the HVAC/R sector. IUVA’s mission is to advance the science and application of ultraviolet technologies.